Monday, October 20, 2008

Scarin' Up Some Spooky Sunday Fun



My great friend, Monica, gives and gives and gives and gives...(ok, I'll stop now, because she reads my blog and I don't want to utterly embarrass her, but you get the point--she's extremely giving). She called me earlier in the week and invited the family to a mini "Thanksgiving Dinner" yesterday, claiming she had a turkey that needed to be cooked up. It's not that I doubt that she needed to cook her turkey, but if it wasn't a turkey, it would've been something else that needed to be cooked AND shared. She's one of the most selfless individuals I've ever met and her friendship is such a gift--even without the turkey (which was delicious, by-the-way). So, we accepted the invitation (duh!), because if you've ever had one of Monica's home-cooked meals, you know they are to die for. I have to admit I leave with my self-esteem somewhat shaken because, as I've told Monica, my husband never eats that much of my cooking. Anyway, moving on...I asked Monica what I could bring to the feast. And, I'm not sure if she's just such a giver that she rarely lets me bring something, or if Josh's stories about my cooking have kind of scared her off (it's not bad by-the-way...it's just a rare occurrence), but nevertheless, usually the conversation ends with Monica allowing me to bring a salad of some sort, because I "make good salads". So, I agreed to bring a salad. This time, however, I decided to press my luck and offer to bring a kid friendly dessert too. I thought maybe the kids would have fun decorating some Halloween sugar cookies. So, the kids and I got dressed up in our Halloween t-shirts, baked up some sugar cookies and tinted some frosting. We loaded some baggies full of candy corn and Halloween-colored M&Ms, as well as some chocolate chips for decorating. The kids could hardly wait to go to Monica's. I made them snap a few pictures in their Halloween shirts before leaving. They only smiled because I told them we wouldn't be going to see Emory and Bronson until I got some decent shots. Thanks for the delicious dinner Monica!

Here are some pictures from our Sunday.


Our amazing host and her son Bronson.
(picture stolen from her blog)





























4 comments:

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

SO FUN! I dont think your cooking can be bad, i mean you are QUEEN of all things DOMESTIC!

Rebecca Pierce said...

She is amazing! I love it when people inspire me to be better, and she is one of those for sure. Oh wait...so are you!

Michelle said...

I love seeing all the adorable pictures of your family - such cute children you have. I love this time of year! I look forward to seeing some pictures of your kids in their Halloween costumes :)

Kristin Bjorn said...

Too cute Jen. You are so festive..lovin it!