Sunday, December 7, 2008

GRATEFUL

In a few short weeks we will close the doors on another year. Time really does fly when you're having fun. I'd feel totally ungrateful if I didn't record a list of my blessings. Here is my sweetened-condensed version.

1. The Gospel of Jesus Christ, restored in the latter-days. I don't even want to imagine my life without my knowledge and understanding of A.) Who I am as a daughter of God B.) What my purpose is on this earth C.) What happens after we die. This knowledge gives so much meaning to my life. Understanding that there is a Plan of Happiness for my life brings me so much hope, comfort and peace.

2. The Atonement of Jesus Christ. On a daily basis, I fall short of being the woman I have the potential to become. I am so grateful for a Savior who knows and understands me, who can see the desires of my heart & has provided me with a way to improve myself and to repent when I have not been all that I should be. I love Him & daily strive to remember Him always and more closely pattern my life after His perfect life.

3. My husband. During my dating years, I was often reminded of the words of Elder Bruce R. McConkie who said, “The most important single thing that any Latter-day Saint ever does in this world is to marry the right person, in the right place, by the right authority." It was nearly 11 years ago,that Josh made the 5 hour drive from Orem, UT to Driggs, ID where my family was gathered for Christmas, to ask my dad for my hand in marriage. I know more today, than I did then that Josh is who I want to spend forever with. He was the right person then, and continues to be the right person today. And, I know tomorrow, there will be nobody else that I can imagine more perfectly completing me. I remember close friends and family razzing Josh during the time of our engagement that he was "marrying up". After 10 1/2 years of marriage, I can tell you that it was definitely me that got the better end of the bargain. Josh is an amazing husband and father. He inspires me to be better, helps calm my soul when troubled or afraid, encourages me to follow my dreams, and is more selfless than anyone I know. I could not ask for a better eternal companion. I am grateful that our marriage in the Salt Lake Temple is for time and all eternity, and that we have the privilege of working every day of our lives to guarantee ourselves the blessing of this eternal marriage.

4. My 3 beautiful children. Motherhood is difficult. But, as the saying goes, "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." I'm here to testify that it is worth it. I am on the roller coaster ride of a life-time and every terrifying dip and sharp turn suffered is more than made up for by the joy found in the climb and the magnificent view discovered at the peak. To Jacob, Kaylee and Landon...you are the light of my life. There is no greater thrill than that of being your mother.

5. Amazing friends. I've heard it said, that a man is only as good as the company he keeps. I have been blessed in my life with the most incredible of friends. You know who you are. Some of you I see on a daily basis. Others of you, I see once in a blue moon. All of you, I feel connected to, no matter how much time and space separates us. It is my privilege to call you friends. You fill my life with joy, spontaneity, excitement, fun, and laughter. You make me feel good about my efforts as a woman, a mother, a friend, no matter how far I fall short in all those areas. And, if I haven't told you enough, I love you all for what you bring to my life. Thank you.

As promised, this is my "sweetened-condensed" list. My heart is bursting with thanksgiving for all that the Lord has blessed me with. I feel like Ammon in the Book of Mormon, "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel". (Alma 26:16)

3 comments:

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

This post was so sweet! It made my eyes water! You are so great at writing Jen. & this is a great "sweet & condensed" list! Love you!

a wynn wynn situation said...

Beautiful! You have such a wonderful way of saying things...

lauren said...

you are an amazing woman. And I feel blessed to call you family. Love you!!