Wednesday, August 5, 2009

{See Jen. See Jen run. Funny, funny Jen.}

Do you remember the old Dick & Jane books from the 70's?

I do.

Last month, I felt like I was living one.

"See Jen. See Jen run. Funny, funny Jen."

I started the month of July out running. Literally. A dozen of my close friends ran the Seattle Rock 'N Roll half marathon the last weekend of June and although I swore to myself that I'd never succumb to peer pressure, especially not where running was involved, my will weakened while watching my friends dig deep to complete an exhausting goal. It was truly inspiring.

You've heard of runner's high? I felt it...and I hadn't even been running. That feeling stayed with me until the next week where I started adding a l-i-t-t-l-e running to my workout routines. Before I knew it, I was up to a f-e-w miles, & then my sly friends Jodi and Anna somehow tricked me into running 4 (f-o-u-r)miles with them. They were so kind and patient with my snail's pace & kept me going when I know I'd otherwise have probably quit after 2 or 3 miles. The whole experience was somewhat spiritual. I know you runners out there can relate. It's an incredible feeling being prodded on by positive encouragement, doing something you weren't sure you could do.
(Josh compares my running to Phoebe's mad running skillz on Friends...click on the video to see. So funny. Personally, I don't think I'm quite that bad. Just don't ask Jodi or Anna for their opinions.)



My body took nearly 5 (f-i-v-e) days to recover. Sad. I know. I'm sure it was comical watching me do ordinarily simple tasks like walk down the stairs, sit down, stand up, or even walk. Sore does not even begin to describe the pain I was experiencing. But, I must say, that I surprised myself and ran again as soon as I could. I have not repeated that distance...yet, but will.

Unfortunately, as soon as I was getting back into a running groove, I ever-so-gracefully bit the dust to save 10 dozen handmade truffles from certain destruction. (I'm sure Martha would've been proud.) The bridal shower goers were grateful, but my knees were not. They took the brunt of the fall and the remaining scabs are my proof that I'm not just making up excuses not to run (or water ski or wakeboard...I missed out on those fun camping activities as well).

I finally was able to run for the first time today, and it's been 2 weeks. Oddly enough, I missed it. (Really, who am I?) It feels great to be back on track. I'm sure bystanders watching me huff and puff think to themselves,

"See Jen. See Jen run. Funny, funny Jen."

But, hey, I'm doing it. Slowly, but surely I'm chugging along.


"I think I can. I think I can."

Oh wait, that's another story from childhood...

Jodi, Anna & Tasha: you just might turn me into a runner yet.

Needless to say, July flew by. Here is a small sampling of the fun we were up to last month:

{THE FOURTH}

Simple. Neighborhood BBQ. Family. Friends. Food. Fireworks. Perfect.

{CUSTOM SCRAPBOOK WORK}

Seven layouts. Designed. Created. Finished.



{BRIDAL SHOWER}

Note to self: when carrying 10 dozen truffles, watch your step!



{HOME DECORATING}

Yes. Finally. New bedroom furniture for Jake. New couches for me.
We finally got rid of these beauties.

Stay tuned for pictures of Jake's new room (we're almost finished)and the new leather couches for the bonus room!

{COUSIN REUNION}
My house. McDonald's lunch + Slip 'N Slide + Ice Cream + Wii Sports= A whole lotta fun!
{BANKS LAKE CAMPING TRIP}
Picture overload. Coming to a blog near you. August 2009.

Here is the teaser.





August is already off to a fast pace. More posts coming soon. I promise.

4 comments:

Shells said...

You are making me very excited to run. Sorry about your knees, but what is a little pain when Chocolate Truffles are on the line? You all look like you are having a fun-filled, fast-paced summer.

Chris and Mari Spiker said...

Jen, I think it's so awesome that you are running! It's a great feeling AFTER the run, maybe not always during the run. If it makes you feel better, I dont hit my runners high until mile 6. I haven't run much this summer, it gets too hot here, but I hope to pick it back up by the end of the month.

The photos look awesome! You guys are always doing something fun. Landon is getting so big!! & I love the pic of Kaylee on the board on the water. I am really looking forward to having some good laughs with you guys in a week!

Kelli said...

look at Kaylee on the board so fun! I cant believe summer is almost over and preschool will start, how did that happen?

lauren said...

I am slow! I always have been, but I have learned that I love running anyway! So I just chug along at my snail pace and try to enjoy it! It is not always how fast or far you go- but that you continually conquer fears and jump the hurdles in your way! Running is like that for me- always a new challenge- even if it is just getting through my run THAT day. :) Keep running!! :)

and PS- your kids are amazingly beautiful! :)