Tuesday, June 2, 2009

HApPy BiRtHdAy MoM!
June 2, 1953


Today is my mom's 56th birthday. This post is dedicated to her.

In my life, I've been told I look like a lot of different people (usually famous), but more often than anyone, I've been told I look like my mom. What a compliment! I hope I look as young and beautiful as she does, when I'm 56.

But more than resembling her physically, I hope when life finds me older (and hopefully wiser), I will resemble her in other, more important ways. May it be said of me, that I am an incredible mother like she has been to us; that I always put my children's needs first, sacrificing every earthly need to be sure they were taken care of, nurtured, & taught in truth. May my patience increase to match hers. How she raised 5 energetic children with a calm, kind demeanor without allowing an angry loud voice ever to creep in makes her all the more angelic. She has always made each of us feel like we were the most important thing in her life and if asked, each of us would say that we were her favorite child, because she has treated us so.

I hope that when I reach her age, I will have gained some of her spiritual gifts. Her ability to serve everyone, refrain from judging & accept all men "as they are" is so admirable and impressive. Her gift of speaking and teaching, especially on spiritual matters has blessed thousands. And, she is always willing to share her love of the Savior.

Her creativity astounds me! She transforms the drab into fab, whether it be a wedding reception or a Sunday School lesson. With a wave of her magic wand, everything is exciting and fun.

She is organized & clean. There is a place for everything and everything in its place...(except for a few undisclosed "junk" locations...but we won't talk about those). But, with this organization comes a freedom to feel comfortable in her home. She has never made things, or cleanliness more important than people.

What an entertainer! You want gourmet food, gorgeous centerpieces, beautiful party favors? She's your girl. When I was younger, I kind of thought those skills would just "come" to me. Now, as an adult, I realize that although there can be some natural talent, it's mostly just working at it. And, that leads me to my next topic.

My mom is a work horse. Literally. You'd think with 5 kids out of the house that life would have slowed down for her. Not so. She spends from sun up to sun up (notice I didn't say sun down), working. And no, she isn't being paid to work, nor is she usually working for something that benefits her. She is usually putting together some care package, or lesson, or meal or gift that will bless someone else's life. Thank you for teaching us to wear ourselves out in the service of others!

My mom is my very best friend. I am so grateful to have you as my mom. Here's to many more "happy birthdays!"

1 comments:

Mari Elizabeth Couture said...

Happy Birthday Mama Price! I love you!